Did you hear the news???
I am so excited about something happening next week …my 5 Day Smoothie Challenge!
I am a huge advocate for smoothies because they were really the first major change that I made in the way that I and my family eat.
Smoothies are a super easy way to get a huge boost of protein, healthy fats, fiber, superfoods and other micronutrients in one drink! It is also a convenient way to make breakfast and take it with you as you run errands, drop off the kids at school or go to work.
Smoothies were also how I got my husband to start having more fruits and veggies. This is also a great tactic if you are trying to get more fruits and veggies into your kids!
Smoothies give me so much nourishment and energy to tackle my morning tasks. Plus, I love that they taste delicious and they really fill me up! There are so many flavor combos you can make with smoothies, and the smoothies only take a few minutes to whip up!
If you’d like to try out some yummy and nourishing smoothies, check out My 5 Fave Smoothie recipes download. It is totally FREE and you can get the download HERE.
During the 5 Day Smoothie Challenge, we will be trying each of the smoothie recipes from this download, and I will sharing recipe videos, tips and tricks via email and on my Get Nourished with Renata Facebook group.
So make sure you download your copy of My 5 Fave Smoothie recipes, and you’ll be automatically entered into the 5 Day Smoothie Challenge, starting on June 3!
In the meantime, I thought I would share a new smoothie recipe with you, to whet your appetite for all things smoothie-related!
A Morning Caffeine Hit
I recently tried one of those ready made Mocha Protein Drinks from the grocery store. They tasted great, but there were loaded with sugar. So I thought to myself, how hard could it be to make one of them at home?
So I went to work making a Creamy Vanilla Mocha Smoothie using some cold coffee, instead of the usual almond milk or water that I normally use. And let me tell you, it worked out perfectly! Turns out, it is so easy to combine coffee and your fave smoothie recipe in one morning boost of caffeine and nourishment!
The 5 Components to a Smoothie
There are 5 components to this smoothie that make it the ultimate breakfast and caffeine combo.
- Protein: Protein is an essential macronutrient, meaning that your body needs protein in order to keep functioning properly. It helps to build cells and muscle. Most breakfasts, like cereal or toast, may not have a high enough protein content, if you find yourself hungry pretty quickly after eating it.
- Healthy Fats: another essential macronutrient, healthy fats are vital to making sure you feel full. So you don’t need to be afraid of healthy fats. In fact, some yummy examples of healthy fats include avocado, coconut oil and nut or seed butters.
- Fiber: Most people are not getting enough fiber in their diet. Fiber comes from things like fruits, vegetables and some superfood ingredients like chia seeds and flaxseed. The great thing about fiber is that it not only helps with digestion, but it will also help with… can you guess? Feeling full!
- Greens: these green, leafy vegetables, like kale and spinach, contain numerous phytonutrients, meaning nutrients that come from plants. These vegetables also contain antioxidants and fiber, so they are a powerhouse ingredient. Putting them into a smoothie is a great way to increase your greens intake. But please remember that a high speed blender will be vital if you don’t want to have little bits of greens stuck in your teeth!
- Superfoods: My fave superfoods to add to smoothies are chia seeds, hemp hearts and flax seed. All three are high in protein, fiber and omega 3’s or 6’s, a fatty acid that is crucial to your body functions. These superfoods pack so much nutrition into a small serving e.g. a tablespoon of chia seeds contains 5 g of protein, 10 g of fiber and 17% of your recommended daily intake of calcium.
This Creamy Vanilla Mocha Smoothie contains all of these ingredients. So in addition to being delicious, this smoothie will also fuel your body and help you feel satiated.
Get Ready for the 5 Day Smoothie Challenge
I hope you like this bonus smoothie recipe right before the 5 Day Smoothie Challenge kicks off on June 3!
And make sure you download your copy of My 5 Fave Smoothie Recipes right HERE. I’ll also include you in the emails for the 5 Day Smoothie Challenge!
If you make any of the 5 smoothies from my download, or this Creamy Vanilla Mocha Smoothie, make sure you take a photo and tag me at @nourish_with_renata and using the hashtag #nourishwithrenata on IG so I can see what you make!
This smoothie will nourish your body and give you a jolt of energy in the morning!
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 banana
- 1 cup kale or spinach
- 1 serving vanilla protein powder
- 1-3/4 cup cold coffee
- 1 cup ice
Add all ingredients into a high speed blender.
Blend till perfectly smooth and creamy. If you want the smoothie to be thicker, add more ice or don't add as much coffee. If you want the smoothie thinner, add more coffee or water, or add less ice.