Happy New Year everyone! It’s been an awesome holiday season with lots of delish food and a little (or maybe a lot!) or indulging. Now it’s time to get back on track with my healthy eating!
To kick off the new year, my family started off the day with a beautiful green smoothie. This is one of my fave combos: pineapple, kale and some extra goodies to nourish your body. This smoothie is also amazing with fresh mango instead of pineapple…yum!
Now, you may be thinking, “another green smoothie???” or “kale is disgusting!!” but I promise you this one tastes delicious! You REALLY cannot taste the kale… seriously! My kids loved this smoothie and just so you know, my kids will never willingly eat kale…. #momfail. The kale flavor actually takes a back seat to the sweet vanilla of the protein powder and the fresh, bright, tropical hit of the pineapple.
This smoothie has three special ingredients to amp up the nutrition factor.
- Protein powder: I like to add a protein source to my smoothies so that I stay fuller for longer. Also I am usually having a smoothie after a morning workout so it’s also a great post-workout drink. There are tons of protein powders on the market nowadays. I like the Vega Protein and Greens powder in the Vanilla flavor, since its really versatile for different recipes and it’s sweetened with stevia.
- Chia seeds: These seeds are high in antioxidants, omega 3’s, fiber and protein. They are totally versatile and can be added to many dishes from oatmeal to muffins.
- Hemp hearts: Another seed with a powerful punch. Hemp hearts are high in omega 3’s and 6’s to protect your heart and immune system. They also contain fiber, protein, vitamin A and iron.
You can find all of these ingredients at most grocery stores or online aka I heart Amazon.
I love that I can whip up this smoothie as a quick breakfast for the whole family. Not only is it full of good-for-you ingredients, it’s so yummy! It’s really an awesome start to your day or make it anytime for a boost of nutritious deliciousness!
- 2 cups fresh pineapple chopped
- 2 loosely packed cups fresh or frozen kale
- 1 ripe banana halved
- ⅓ cup vegan vanilla protein powder such as Vega Protein and Greens
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp hemp hearts
- 2 cups water or milk e.g. almond milk coconut milk, etc.
- 2 cups ice
Add all ingredients to a high speed blender and blend till very smooth. If needed, use a spoon or a tamper to ensure all the ingredients are blended completely.
Pour into glasses and enjoy!
Add more ice to thicken the smoothie or more water/milk to thin out the mixture.